Pinkdots

Monday, March 29, 2010

It's DONE!!!




The boys room is 100% done!  The only thing I would like to add is 2 little bean bags in blue.  I am so happy with how it turned outIt did take a lot of work but all worth it.  This all began with us starting to look for bunk beds to buy for the boys.  The ones we loved were going to cost us a few thousand dollars.  The cheap ones for $200 - 500.00 were well, cheap, and we didn't trust them.  I was directed to a Blog to check out and soon found a new hobby.  

Knock off Wood is AMAZING!  Anna is AMAZING!  Brett and I poured through her site for a few hours one night and came to the conclusion that we could do it ourselves.  With a lot of help from Anna from her supplying the shopping list, cutting list, and plans I headed to Lowes the next weekend! 

The plan called for two Simple twin beds with two head boards for the bottom and two foot boards for the top.  We wanted a full bed on the bottom so we printed off the plan for the Simple Full size bed and did that with the two head boards for the bottom and continued on with the rest of the plans for the twin (top) bed.  Pretty easy to customize to what you want!  For the color we chose a deep brown that I love, I love browns!  It is called Chocolate Truffle.  Anything that has the words chocolate or truffle is a love of mine!  lol   

I did most of the beds myself but Brett did help!  I did all the cutting and pieced everything together.  Then I had him countersink the 4 x 4 posts and then together we put the finished product together.  It was easier with two of us and in all honesty kinda fun since we banned all kids from the garage due to the saws and boards moving all around.  Almost like a date!  lol  Then it took a lot of sanding, painting, and putting on the poly.  


Up next was the book / toy shelf.  This was pretty easy and really took me just an afternoon while the little kids were sleeping, older kids were at school, and Brett at work!  My plywood was a little warped so I ran into a few issues but in the end I got it done and am ok with how it turned out.  Not as happy as I am with the bunk beds but it will serve it's purpose.


I made the wall hangings, curtains, and bedding!  We couldn't quite decide what to do the room in.  At first it was tractors but any tractor material I found I didn't love.  It was either babyish or too busy.  I hate any character themes so that was out the window.  The boys have had airplanes / jeep / camo since Ethan was a baby, almost 5 years ago, so I was growing a little tired of it.  I had this fabric in the blues, white, and brown striped in my closet.  I got it for a steal of a deal at Chez Ami and thought it would be perfect.  Gives the room color, boyish, but not too busy or babyish.  Thankfully they had more in stock when I went back to order more!

 Now for all the pictures!  Excuse the poor lighting.... It was dark out and I didn't want to wait  until today to take the pictures out of my excitement to getting this on here and finish up my Lexies room!  Oh yes, more woodworking, sewing, & painting!  


Can you believe all of that cost us just a tad over $300.00?!  From paint, fabric, wood, to all supplies needed.  Of course it took lots of time but if you know my husband he loves to save money and would rather use time!  lol  Just like with sewing a new dress for one of my girls I get great satisfaction out of doing it myself! 

5 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks fantastic! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my Jen - it is fantastic! I am so jealous that you have all of these amazing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fabulous! I think you did a marvelous job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a COOL Room! It looks great! What a fun project and probably even nicer to have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you possible direct me to the Simple Full Size Bed Plans. I've looked all over Ana's site, and can't find them anywhere. I'm going to be building these bunks in the next month, and I'd love to get ahold of those plans! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete